CSS1 status

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 13:55:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
A quick note on the status of the CSS1 specification.

The stated goal of the work on CSS1 [1] was to have a stable
specification by the end of 1995. This was accomplished. The last
version issued is dated December 22, and we encourage browser vendors
to use it as a base for implementations.  We do not want to close the
specification until full implementations exist, but only minor
refinements/simplifications are expected:

 - the documentation will be strengthend and some points clarified
 - some values on some of the properties may be added or taken out
 - the table model, which is the newest part of the specification,
   may see more changes.

More specifically, the following minor changes are planned in the next
version:

 - the 'from-canvas' values on 'width' and 'height' will be
   removed. To use canvas metrics for positioning background images,
   the already existing keyword 'fixed' should be used

 - the description of the gradient background will make it clear that
   only colors, not images, should be blended

 - some keywords will be added to the 'bg-position' property: left,
   center, right, top, bottom

Also, we're revising some of the terms for describing addressing.
E.g., does anyone have a better term than "pseudo-classes"?

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/css/

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org